Design Patterns

I did a search for ‘design patterns’ on google a couple of weeks ago and found this killer link that has all the different patterns listed along with code samples on how to use them: www.dofactory.com. I’ve been spending a lot of time on this page looking through their code snippets and memorizing the UML diagrams.

 

Over the years I have kinda found out about design patterns by mistake through trial and error. I admit that I discovered their needs the hard way with copying and pasting code between dialogs, and connecting to databases through form load code. About a year ago, I really started to inquire about the different types of design patterns and a buddy at work let me borrow two books on the subject: ‘Designing Object-Oriented C++ Applications Using The Booch Method’ and ‘Design Patterns - Elements of Reusable Object-Oriented Software’. I have pretty much skimmed through both of them all the way through, but I’ve been using the ‘Design Patterns’ book for a reference for quite a while now. I almost have them all memorized, but still need to turn to a page now and again when I'm really stumped on programming problem. I’ve been doing a lot of traveling with the company lately and I’ve taken the ‘Design Patterns’ book with me on each trip reading the sketchy patterns that I haven’t fully understood yet. I have read about 80% of it however the other 20% I still use as a reference lookup. I now know the difference between a ‘software programmer’ and a ‘software architect’… design patterns.

Print | posted on Thursday, October 27, 2005 1:22 PM