Thunderbird Chaos

I was having a problem with Thunderbird where I would send a message to somebody and they wouldn't get the messages. The strange thing is that there was no error being raised informing me of a problem and my sent items box contained the messages I was sending.

Anyway, I tried to fix the problem by removing my account and adding it back again. This is where I got screwed up. I had my buddy Eric help me do this and he suggested that I set it up as a POP3 account, rather than an IMAP account. The problem was that I had ~15 or so messages in my inbox and apparently this caused Thunderbird to download the messages to my machine and deletes them from the server. Well, when saw that the my email was sending successfully now, I decided to remove the POP3 account and add it back as an IMAP account. BIG MISTAKE! When I did this, I lost all my messages from the server.

I spent about 30 minutes trying to find them and eventually did in my application folder after lots of googling. Then I tried to add a new profile to read the old messages so I could put them back on the server, but my account settings simply removed them as soon as it tried to sync up with the server. Again, this didn't fix my problem either. I went through my folder and found that my messages were still in there from some logging that Thunderbird does (thank goodness). I spent quite a while trying to decypher what the X-Mozilla Status: xxxx codes meant. I finally turned to one of my old computer buddies (Bill) from QuikSoft who knows quite a bit about email and headers. He informed me that the status codes are merely a combination of flags (described here).

I'll update this blog when I get my messages back so that others can benefit. What a nightmare...

[UPDATE] I gave up. There were only ~15 messages and I realized I was wasting time fighting a losing battle. So, I guess If anybody else reading tihs blog knows what to do, please let me know. :)

Print | posted on Monday, June 27, 2005 12:40 PM